10 things that I like to do when in Cairo:
1. Visiting the Giza Necropolis to admire the Pyramids and Sphinx.
2. Riding a camel in the desert.
3. Taking a taxi and when you reach your destination, say thanks to Allah that you are still alive.
4. Losing myself in the Khan el-Khalili Market while listening to the song “Tamally maak (=Always With You)” that suits the atmosphere of the market so well. Great memory!!!
5. Taking a boat for a small cruise in the Nile River in night to enjoy the night colours of the city.
6. Taking a part in an Egyptian marriage ceremony without being invited!! It doesn’t matter, they will welcome you anyway. Allah, Allah!!!
7. Escaping from the crowd and traffic jam for tea in the Cairo Marriott Hotel.
8. Visiting The Museum of Egyptian Antiquities and seeing many mummies and many important pieces of ancient Egyptian history.
9. Having an Egyptian friend willing to take hundred of photos of you without being bored and asking you when you are going to visit Cairo again.
10. Walking through the streets of Cairo and talking spontaneously with the locals. They are all so nice and kind. It can also occur that you have to help them to push their car which has stopped in the middle of an avenue to start. The Greeks were always available to help.
I don’t know why, but I still have Cairo on my mind as the funniest travel I have ever done; I suppose I owe this to the 10 friends of mine who came with me. We knew how to have fun and that is all that counts.
Cairo, tammaly maak, We law hata ba eed any, Fe alby hawak.