The 500 – Oh, what a day! We went for a stroll around the city, the weather was warm and the sun was shining brightly. We explored some cool places where you can enjoy a drink with a view (stay tuned – posts are coming soon) but what really excited me were two things: a fawn pug with a wrinkly, short-muzzled face that wanted to bite me, or kiss me, or lick me (actually I didn’t understand his intentions) but it was fun anyway and also a vintage Fiat 500! Cute pugs and old cars make Vienna even more beautiful! If you like this photo, you can find more photos on Instagram.
Btw, the mini skirt in the photo below was made by me.
Photo (c) Elena Azzalini Photography
- “Cause you wouldn’t know me today, and you have got to see, to believe, from the fading light I fly”. Conchita Wurst and the song “Rise like a phoenix” is the winner of the Eurovision song contest 2014, that took place in Copenhagen last night. I was very happy to watch the contest with friends in a very beautiful loft in the first district of Vienna. It used to be like an annual ritual, when I was living in Athens, to gather in a place, chat and vote with friends, and having fun together in front of the television. I am happy that the same type of gathering happens in Vienna as well. I don’t know how you find the winning song, but among the others, it was really the one that I liked most. This song has something powerful. The melody which is slow at the beginning and then become stronger gives you the impression that it talks about an achievement, something successful, for something that was lost and found, for someone who is reborn. 12 points from Greece to Austria and next year the European song contest comes to Vienna!
- Do you need to escape from routine for 6 months and travel the world? Swiss Air Lines gives you the opportunity to apply for a dream job and be a Swiss explorer. Just watch the video and you will understand what I am talking about. The video of the advertisement is excellent and the voice of the speaker manages to define the spirit of the job, still we should not fool ourselves that it’s going to be only fun and excitement. It is going to be demanding as well. Would you like to apply? You should hurry, because you can send your application until 28 May, 2014
- Do you know Mary Katrantzou? That Greek girl who managed to establish herself in a very competitive business field in London as a fashion designer. I have watched this video many times and thought I should share it with you, just in case you haven’t see it yet. I like people like Mary who persist and fight for their dreams, no matter what, and people who are creative generally. Challenge yourself to define your limits.
- Do you know what kind of cosmetics you use? Have you ever wondered about what kind of ingredients are they made? I had a very interesting conversation with my student who is concerned about the chemicals that they put into skin care products. She recommended me to check out this page on the web. It is a pity that the context is written in German only. I searched for a button to switch the language but didn’t find anything. Whatever, we should be and stay informed. And the next time you buy a product, take a look at the back side, where the ingredients are..
I have a strange yet awesome story to tell. Few days ago, someone rang the bell of the apartment where I live, and when I went to the door, I heart a male voice saying that there was a delivery. I opened the door, and the delivery boy told me that he has a hard disk to deliver; however the recipient wasn’t me but rather a person who lives on another floor of my building. At the beginning, I wasn’t sure if I should take the package, which belonged to someone else, especially to someone that I don’t know at all. But the delivery boy insisted and begged me so much that it was impossible to say no. He also assured me that he has done it often in the past and that I shouldn’t worry. You see, I was the only person in the whole building at the moment.
So, I received the small parcel and thought that I have to bring it to the owner. Some days later, as I came back home from work, I thought I should try and ring the door of the person to whom the parcel belongs. This person, who happens to be a very talented photographer, opened the door, thanked me for receiving the stuff that he had ordered and all of a sudden invited me to take part in the home dinner that was about to take place and of course I accepted.
We were about nine people and everything was great. Friendly people, warm atmosphere, and excellent service from two butlers. What did I enjoy most? For every dish there was a different wine and since I love sweet wines, I mostly liked the last one which came with the dessert. You see what can happen when you receive a package?♥
Let’s say you have a day off, a free day and nobody is in town, what do you do? Don’t stay in front of the computer/television. There is so much happening out there. Take your photo camera and go rediscover your city. Pretend to be a tourist for one day.
Have a walk, go to feed the ducks, look for places that you didn’t know, sit on a bench and look at the other people passing by (my favorite leisure activity), sit at one of the many cafes, browse the local shops, go to a museum, have a small talk with strangers, marvel at the beautiful architecture of the buildings, buy yourself a yummy frozen yogurt but above all stay curious and snap many many many pictures.
and at the end of the day go to the cinema….
Vienna Street Photography
Vienna 20 degrees
When the city blooms and the sun shine in the Viennese sky, I get the feeling that – not only me- but everybody is a bit happier than usual.
In general, 20 degrees in Vienna means:
1. The park is suddenly full of people who lay on the grass.
2. The possibilities of finding a free table to sit outdoors are low.
3. You have to wait in the queue to get an ice cream.
There is something strange happening in this city. During the week days, the weather was beautiful. It was sunny and if you could find the time to lie down outside, you could enjoy the sun, get warm and your skin could finally produce a lot of vitamin D. The strange thing is that when the weekend came, I don’t understand why and how, the weather changed and started to rain. Why, If only I knew but the question is: what to do on a rainy day? A strawberry cake with a friend in a lovely Cafe is always a nice thing to do on a rainy day.
What do you like to do on a rainy day?
Café Diglas am Fleischmarkt Fleischmarkt 16 / 1010 Wien
Over a cup of coffee and a Tarte aux citron, I asked my friends today if they knew about InterNations and I was really surprised of finding out that they had never heard of it before. So I promised them I will write about it and I advised them to join the expat community online.
Under the motto “Connecting global minds” InterNations organizes various events and brings expats together. For example, you may be currently living in Amsterdam and are planning to move to Stockholm. You have already organised work and home but what about your social life? I don’t think you plan to stay alone in your new city! You can join InterNations and meet other interesting people, find interesting topics to discuss with other expats, useful information and city guides, and take part in the groups and events they organize. How can you do that? Just make your own account or give me your email and I can send you an invitation.
I have been a member of InterNations since 04/2011 and I am very happy that they now feature my blog in the recommended expat blog Vienna section, where you can also find an interview about my experience of living in Vienna here.
A big thanks to Valentina from Munich for the interview and nice chat.
What would Sacher Torte be like without Vienna and what would Vienna be like without Sacher Torte?
Some things are so connected to each other, that you cannot even imagine them apart.
You can find Sacher Torte in other countries but they are done exquisitely in the country they originated from.
Today we said “Let’s pretend that we are tourists” and jumped into the cafe of the Hotel Sacher. When the sky turns grey, a good friend and that famous piece of chocolate cake with whipped cream next to it is all I need to feel happy.